May - the month of Mary
The Church honors Mary, the mother of Jesus, with special devotion, especially during month of May. Why do we honor Mary? The main reason is because God Himself honored her by choosing her to be the mother of His only Son, Jesus. Mary is the first disciple and a model disciple for us to follow in our walk with Jesus. Why? Because she was the first one to accept Jesus when she said yes to the angel Gabriel at the Annunciation.
We too are asked to say yes and follow Jesus, and ask for Mary's help and intercession along the way. Throughout her life she showed us many different ways to follow Jesus:
- Helping others - Immediately after learning of her own pregnancy, Mary set out "in haste" to help her cousin Elizabeth.
- Searching and following Jesus - when Mary and Joseph lost Jesus in the temple, they didn't stop searching until they found him.
- "Do whatever he tells you" - During the wedding at Cana Mary tells the waiter "do whatever He tells you".
How can we honor Mary?
- Pray the Rosary
- Pray other Marian prayers such as the Hail Mary, Memorare, and Hail Holy Queen
- May Crowing
- Resources from the USCCB - including prayers, videos, an interactive Lenten calendar, and more
- Videos, movies, podcasts, and more from FORMED for the whole family
- Check out our Pinterest page with ideas and resources to honor Mary