June 1, 2020 - Racial Prejudice
Read this heartfelt statement from our Bishop Robert McElroy regarding recent racial prejudice events currently taking place across the country titled "Finding Grace within our Republic of Suffering." Join the Pacific Beach Interfaith Coalition for a prayer vigil on Sunday, June 7 at 7 pm at Kate Sessions Park.
May 29, 2020 - Masses at Saint Brigid Parish will resume Monday, June 8.
The heart of our Catholic identity is the Eucharist. With that in mind, the first step on our pathway forward is to welcome the community back to Mass, while following the necessary social distancing and hygiene guidelines. Please note, however, our Bishop will continue to dispense all Catholics from the obligation to attend Sunday Mass for the foreseeable future. Highlights of our reopening plan include:
- Our Mass schedule will stay the same.
- Holy Communion will be distributed in the form of consecrated bread alone, and only in the hand.
- Parishioners will be expected to wear a face covering and maintain a 6-foot distance from other people.
- Come early, people will be seated on a first come, first serve basis.
- Ways to serve:
- Reopening Resources:
- Read our reopening plan or our detailed parish plan submitted to the Diocese.
- Join us at our virtual Town Hall on Thursday, June 4 or 11 at 4 pm.
- Look at our maps of the church entrances and communion procession.
- Watch Fr. Steve's videos below on what reopening and the order of communion procession look like.
May 4, 2020 - Diocesan Update
In compliance with the Governor's Executive Order asking all Californians to "shelter in place," all parishes and school campuses of the diocese of San Diego and Imperial Counties will remain closed until further notice. For more details on restrictions and cancellations until the COVID-19 emgency is over, click here. Although we can't celebrate Mass as a community look at our Mass at Home page for ideas and resources or watch a Livestream or taped Mass on the Diocesan website.
April 3, 2020 - Pope Francis delivers a 5-minute Holy Week message of hope
April 2, 2020 - Join the Chrism Mass via livestream today at 4 pm
What is the Chrism Mass? The Chrism Mass happens once a year and it is a Mass where the Bishop blesses the three oils we use to administer sacraments throughout the year - oil of the sick, oil of catechumens and sacred chrism. This year, although our Diocesan Chrism Mass will NOT be open to the public this year, please join Bishop Robert McElroy via video-streamed from the Immaculata on today beginning at 4 pm. In addition, we encourage you to visit the diocesan website for daily Masses in English and Spanish including Holy Week services.
April 1, 2020 - Emergency Food Distribution Network
GOOD NEWS! Starting April 6- April 8, 100 food packages will be distributed through a combination of home delivery (primarily for seniors and those who cannot drive) and by touchless, drive thru food distribution in the Saint Brigid parking lot; drive thru date TBD. Very important: All recipients must register for a package online here. Please note: Registration does not guarantee food availability; successful registrants will receive a phone call to confirm. Check back here for further updates this week. *Please volunteer if you are under 65 and healthy - Register here with Catholic Charities to receive more information.
March 30, 2020 - No Penance Service tonight
Although our Penance Service is cancelled tonight, Pope Francis encourages us if we can't go to confession to take our sorrows directly to God. Read more here. Fast from worry... feast on divine order, for other ways to fast and feast, click here.
March 26, 2020 update - Emergency Food Assistance
Saturday, March 28- San Diego Food Bank is hosting touchless, drive thru food distribution at Qualcomm, from 9am until food is gone. Click here for details. As of March 23, all parish food distributions are suspended until further notice, under COVID-19 restrictions.
March 20, 2020 - Update
We are here for you and want to stay connected with you! Due to Governor Newsom's order and our hope to contribute to the health and wellness
of our community amidst the COVID-19 pandemic, our church and parish offices are unable to remain open. For support, information, and faith resources, please explore our website, email or call us at 858.483.3030.
March 16, 2020 - Update
Regarding the Coronavirus: the church is open, we're reaching out to our seniors, and keeping all of you in our prayers. Here are the adoration, confession, office, and open church hours. Come to find a bit of rest and peace that only comes from Jesus, our Lord and Savior.
March 13, 2020 Update
Dear sisters and brothers in Christ,
Here is a letter from Bishop McElroy which will be read at all Masses this Saturday evening and Sunday.
Starting Monday, March 16, there will be no public weekday or weekend Masses at Saint Brigid Parish until further notice. Bishop McElroy has dispensed all Catholics from the Sunday Mass obligation during the coming weeks. I am dispensing all of you from the obligation to go to Mass this weekend as well.
- Effective immediately, all children's and youth (high school) faith formation programs are suspended, including the faith formation sessions (GIFT) that were scheduled for this Sunday afternoon, March 15.
- The young adult gathering on Wednesday evenings is suspended until further notice.
- Each adult Connection to Christ (C2C) small group can decide for themselves whether or not to continue to meet.
- The diocese will video stream Sunday Mass celebrated by priests and bishops of our diocese in English, Spanish and Vietnamese every week. You can access these celebrations on the diocesan website beginning this Sunday, March 15.
- We will come up with a list of times when the church will be open for people who wish to come and pray.
I invite all of you to join me in prayer, especially those most significantly impacted and suffering from Coronavirus. Here is a prayer from Pope Francis for us to pray.
Sincerely yours in Christ, Father Steve Callahan
March 3, 2020 Update
Stay Connected - other ways to stay in the loop!
- Lenten Resources - While our ability to journey together during Lent this year is limited, click here for resources and encouragement.
- E-Newsletter - The parish-wide weekly E-newsletter connects all our parishioners, near and far. We get messages from friends who have left San Diego, but maintain connection with our community through the e-newsletter. This weekly email highlights upcoming events, gives a preview to the upcoming Sunday’s “The Way”, and has special e-news exclusive content! Sign up here.
- @SaintBrigidSD - Social Media is a fun, light-hearted way to stay connected and add a little extra holiness to your feed. Why not fill your time scrolling with a positive message, ministry highlights, Holy Day information, and parish event updates? Follow us on Instagram and Facebook (Parish or Young Adults) @SaintBrigidSD or check out Catholic resources on our Pinterest page.