What is NFP?
Natural family planning (NFP) is the practice of using fertility awareness methods to help couples either achieve or postpone pregnancies. These methods are rooted in science1 and support the morality of married life as Catholic Christians. NFP methods respect the love-giving (unitive) and life-giving (procreative) nature of married love, designed by God for our benefit.2
How does NFP work?
Through an NFP method, you chart the repetitive symptoms and patterns of your menstrual cycle and can use these observations to discover:
- Days/patterns of fertility
- Days/patterns of infertility
- Patterns of health
How do I choose an NFP method?
When choosing the NFP method that is best fits your needs and your personality, you should ask yourself these questions:
- Is the method backed by rigorous research?
- Can the method be used to space pregnancies?
- Does the method offer solutions for infertility, subfertility, or miscarriage?
- Will the method support my health and wellness goals?
Image source: FACTS
Learning to Use NFP
One of the most amazing parts of NFP is that it is user-friendly even in conditions like irregular cycles, hormonal disorders, and severe mood symptoms, and it can also be used to diagnose and treat these concerns.1
At Saint Brigid Parish, we have our own NFP representative, Samantha Ratcliffe, a NFP practitioner and nurse. Consider contacting Samantha if you fit into in one or more of the categories below!
- Curious about NFP
- Experience difficulty getting pregnant
- Newly engaged! ...and looking for your family planning method
- Struggle with painful or irregular menstrual cycles
- Looking for a method to space children
- Unsure that NFP could work for you
Join us for one of our NFP introductory sessions, held on Mondays once a month at 7:00pm!